Written by Edwina
Kind + Jugend is the world’s biggest biggest trade fair for baby and toddler outfitting products and is held in Cologne, Germany. In its 51st year, the fair brings together a huge number of designers, companies and buyers from around the world. With over 850 companies displaying their wares, Kind + Jugend provides trade buyers a veritable treasure trove of new items from fashion, toys, decor, car safety, furniture and nursery products.
We take our hats off to the Aussie contingent flying the flag of Australian quality and design at the fair. Australian companies include: Aromababy, b.box, Cherub Baby, Cuddle Fish, Skeanie, Melobaby, Playgro, Radicool, Snazzy Baby, Dear Charlotte Love Banjo, Ewenique, Flip Bike, Il Tutto, Isoki, Itti Bitti and more.
The trade fair also presents awards to the best new products in 8 categories. Selected by a jury of industry peers, safety inspectors and the media; they carefully review each nomination and select the best based on form, appearance, material properties, ease of use, and/or technology. We have chased down the winners of each category and brought you the round up below.
1. World of Moving Baby & Travelling Baby Accessories Category Winner – 5 Point Plus Safety-Seat Anti Escape System from Systematic Strategy Ltd. The 5 Point Safety Seat helps prevent children wriggling out of their car seat harness.
2. World of Baby Care Category Winner – Calma Feeding Bottle from Medela AG. An artificial nipple installed on the bottle eases the baby’s transition from breast to bottle feeding.
3. World of Baby Toys Category Winner - Big Optics Workshop from HABA. These colourful cubes, blocks and balls encourage kids to use their sense of touch and to enjoy the experience of discovery.
4. World of Baby Safety at Home Category Innovation Award Winner - Digital Monitor Sensor Pad Monitor from Closer to Nature. A key feature of the monitor is its unique sensor pad, designed to sit under the baby’s cot mattress, it monitors and sounds an alarm if no movement has been detected after 20 seconds.
5. World of Moving Baby Category Winner – Origami Stroller by4Moms Company. At the touch of a button, it folds itself. But we should mention it’s also the world’s first cell phone-charging, mileage-counting, LCD sporting stroller, with a generator in the rear wheels that charges the stroller as you walk. Plus, the Origami has daytime running lights, pathway lights for low-light conditions, and sensors that detect when a child is in the seat (so it’ll never fold by accident).
6. World of Travelling Baby Category Winner – Kiwy Safety Seat from Segrall SRL. Oozing with Italian design the Kiwy Car Seat has a new safety system greatly reduces impact energy by means of a hydraulic damper, ensuring superior protection for babies during a collision.
7. World of Baby Furniture Category Winner – Baff Music Furniture from baff GmbH. Chairs and stools that turn into musical instruments are a novel idea and great products for rhythm training in kindergartens and pre-schools. It is impressive that such a simple piece of furniture can contribute to sensory development.
8. World of Baby Textiles Category Winner – The Wrapper Motion from Lodger. It can serve as a cape for wearing in the safety-seat, in the pram or unfolded as a play blanket: the Wrapper Motion can be used in a number of different ways.